Online Marriage Application
The Whatcom County Auditor's Office has implemented an online system to provide citizens with a simple process for applying for marriage. After applying online you are still required to come into the office and sign the application in front of staff.
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older and must have photo ID as proof of your age.
- Applicants who are 17 years of age must have written permission by one parent or legal guardian. Such consent must be sworn to and signed before a notary public.
- Applicants 16 years or under must have written consent from Juvenile Court as well as written permission of a parent or guardian.
- The license is only valid for weddings that are performed within Washington State. Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license.
- Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.
- Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony.
It takes 3 days until a license is valid!
The three (3) day waiting period begins the day you sign the application and pay the license fee. You may not get married during this waiting period. The License is valid for 60 days following the 3 day waiting period.
Current License Fee
- U.S. Currency or Cashier's Check/Money Order made out to Whatcom County Auditor. No Personal Checks.
- Most debit cards accepted (a convenience fee will apply).
- American Express, Discover, and Mastercard credit cards accepted (a convenience fee will apply).
- Marriage license is void and non-refundable if marriage does not take place within 60 days of issue.